Full Circle Lab Philippines’ 5th edition announces its line-up
The network of Full Circle Lab Philippines alumni exceeds 150 film professionals. 60 film projects from many genres and formats have benefited from consultancy. Full Circle Lab PH 2023 includes a residential workshop from March 27 to 31, 2023, with a 6-month online follow-up till September 2023.
THE PEDAGOGICAL TEAM
Initiated by Matthieu Darras (France), Full Circle Lab Philippines is co-led by:
- Izabela Igel (Poland) on behalf of Tatino Films,
- Allyza Marie Del Pilar (Philippines) on behalf of FDCP.
Mentors & advisors from all over the world constitute the pedagogical team.
Projects of the Fiction Lab will work under the guidance of script consultants:
- Helen Beltrame-Linné (Brazil/Sweden)
- Mmabatho Kau (South Africa)
- Britta Krause (Germany),
- Armi Rae Cacanindin (Philippines)
- Naomi Levari (Israel)
- Patrick Mao Huang (Taiwan).
The Creative Producers Lab will be led by film producers:
- Juraj Krasnohorsky (Slovakia)
- Tan Si En (Singapore),
while international guest speakers will feature creative talks & case studies.
Projects in post-production from the First Cut Lab will work under the guidance of:
- Benjamin Mirguet (Editor consultant, France)
- Wim Vanacker (Editorial advisor, Belgium).
They will be supported by the following industry advisors:
- Yulia Evina Bhara (Producer, Indonesia)
- Beatrice Fiorentino (Venice Critics’ Week, Italy)
- Donsaron Kovitvanitcha (World Film Festival of Bangkok, Thailand)
- Meng Xie (Rediance Sales, China).
ABOUT THE LINE-UP
Full Circle Lab PH 2023 will benefit 15 film projects and 45 film talents, with:
- the Fiction Lab for films & series in development (12 projects
- the First Cut Lab for films in post-production (3 projects)
- the Creative Producers Lab (8 participants)
- the Story Editing Lab (3 participants).
- FCL PH alumna Martika Escobar (Leonor Will Never Die, Special Jury Prize Sundance 2022) will return with her 2nd feature film Daughters of the Sea – produced again by Monster Jimenez.
- The winning project of Busan’s Asian Project Market 2022, Myanmar’s Future Laobans directed by Maung Sun, produced by Ma Aeint (currently in jail), will take part with Filipino producer Emmanuel Angeles joining the team.
- Vietnamese female filmmaking talents on the rise, with two debuts in development: Daughter of the Mountain God by Pham Hoang Minh Thy (who had a short in Venice), and co-produced by Jeremy Chua (Singapore), and Rooftop Lempicka by Hang Luong Nguyen.
- Strong Indonesian presence this year with two debuts in development: Melarissa Sjarief’s Book of Women and M. Reza Fahriyansyah’s (Un)Holy, and two participants in the Creative Producers Lab: Annisa Adjam & Eliza Cheisa.
- Experienced directors John Torres (Philippines) & Woo Ming Jin (Malaysia) supporting as producers the feature film projects of female newcomers: Eve Baswel’s 2nd feature Heaven Help Us! and Nadira Ilana’s debut Wilderness.
- Audience-friendly proposals in the mix with the following family films: ABS-CBN’s heartwarming drama House of Kalachuchi (Philippines), and the sports dramedy Veloforce (Malaysia).
THE DETAILED LINE-UP
Book of Women (Indonesia) – debut
Dir. Melarissa Sjarief / Script. Widya Arifianti
Prod. Farishad Latjuba
Daughter of the Mountain God (Vietnam/Singapore) – debut
Dir. Pham Hoang Minh Thy
Prod. Mai Hoai Nguyen Tuan Anh, Jeremy Chua
Daughters of the Sea (Philippines)
Dir. Martika Escobar
Prod. Monster Jimenez, Rajiv Idnani
Future Laobans (Myanmar/Philippines)
Dir. Maung Sun
Prod. Ma Aeint, Emmanuel Angeles
Girl on The Turtle’s Back (Philippines)
Dir. Paul Sta. Ana
Prod. Alemberg Ang, Brylle Tabora
Heaven Help Us! (Philippines)
Dir. Eve Baswel
Prod. John Torres, Jules Katanyag
House of Kalachuchi (Philippines)
Dir. Theodore Boborol / Script. Margarette Garcia
Prod. Tanya Winona Bautista-Navarro
Love in the Ungodly Hour (Philippines) – debut (series)
Dir. Bradley Jason Pantajo
Prod. Carlo Catu
Please Bear with Me (Philippines) – debut
Dir. Gabriela Serrano
Prod. Gale Osorio
Rooftop Lempicka (Vietnam) – debut
Dir. Hang Luong Nguyen
Prod. Nhi Bui, Nguyen Mai Ka
(Un)Holy (Indonesia) – debut
Dir. M. Reza Fahriyansyah / Script. Sofia Lo
Prod. Amerta Kusuma
Veloforce (Malaysia) – debut
Dir. Kok Wei Liam / Script. Tan Yan Seng
Prod. Lee Choi Kin
FIRST CUT LAB
Solids by the Seashore (Thailand) – debut
Dir. Patiparn Boontarig)
Prod. Mai Meksawan, Chatchai Chaiyon
Editor Nisarat Meechok
Subscribe (Philippines) – debut
Dir. Joan Jelica Lopez-Flores
Prod. Fleur Hombre
Editor Beng Bandong
Wilderness (Malaysia) – debut
Dir. Nadira Ilana
Prod. Woo Ming Jin
Editor Sharon Chong
STORY EDITORS LAB
Nathaniel Arciaga (Philippines)
Cenon Obispo Palomares (Philippines)
Trishtan Perez (Philippines)
CREATIVE PRODUCERS LAB
Alex Poblete, Los Otros (Philippines)
Annisa Adjam, Sinema 5 (Indonesia)
Eliza Cheisa, Dhiwangkara Seta (Indonesia)
Kumanavannan Rajendran, Fourth Frame Studios (Malaysia)
Cris Dumlao, Kampilan & Animation Vertigo Asia (Philippines)
Mica Oliveros, Create Cinema Inc (Philippines)
Sam Chua, Potocol (Singapore)
Tin Velasco, Southern Lantern Studios (Philippines)
“The last 12 months have been exceptional with so many Full Circle Lab PH projects coming to fruition – 9 alumni projects (7 features, 1 documentary, and 1 series) premiered from Sundance 2022 to Slamdance 2023, with many unprecedented breakthroughs:
- First Filipina filmmaker to be awarded in Sundance (Leonor Will Never Die)
- First Malaysian film to compete in Locarno (Stone Turtle)
- First Vietnamese film to compete in Tokyo (Glorious Ashes)
- First Filipino drama series to be screened at MIPCOM (Cattleya Killer)
- First Singaporean-Korean co-production (Ajoomma)
- Most awarded South-East Asian film of the year (Autobiography)
We are so glad to welcome new talents from the Philippines & South-East Asia for this 5th edition of the Full Circle Lab PH, but also to meet again returning alumni, who clearly understood our program is the perfect place where to incubate their projects and to develop the skills of their collaborators.
We continue to promote regional collaboration, while welcoming top-notch expertise from everywhere in the world – not only Europe, but also Africa and Latin America. We are delighted the pedagogical team is enriched by new mentors that are driving forces of the Asian film industry, such as producers Armi Rae Cacanindin (Philippines), Patrick Mao Huang (Taiwan), and Tan Si En (Singapore), and by new industry advisors: Yulia Evina Bhara (Producer, Indonesia), Donsaron Kovitvanitcha (World Film Festival of Bangkok, Thailand), and Meng Xie (Rediance, China).”
“The Film Development Council of the Philippines is proud and honored to welcome our 5th edition of the prestigious Full Circle Lab! This marks an important milestone in FCL Philippines, as we are on our way to realizing our goal, through the Horizons 2025 plan, of making the Philippines the creative hub of Southeast Asia.
FCL PH has developed projects that have won international recognition and critical acclaim. Such as Ajoomma, Stone Turtle, Autobiography, and Leonor Will Never Die, among others.
We are grateful to see that this edition has gathered the most applications from neighboring Southeast Asian countries, cementing the significance and impact of FCL PH in its developmental efforts. We look forward to the future as we continue our collaborative efforts in our path of international cooperation & creative excellence to further evolve our best practices.”